Pain Relief Through Trigger Point Therapy
Have you ever experienced a sore spot on your neck, back, or elsewhere that, when pressed, causes referred pain to another area of the body? Known as trigger points, these are knots or kinks in the muscle that cause chronic pain. Whether you spend long hours at a desk or work in a physically demanding job, these are a common ailment that can cause great discomfort and negatively affect your quality of life.
Trigger points can develop anywhere from your head down to your toes, but most frequently occur in the neck, back, buttocks, or legs. Movement around the area or applying pressure to the site can cause referred pain that is felt elsewhere in your body, most often as a headache. Luckily, if you suffer from this problem, chiropractic trigger point therapy can help relieve your discomfort.
Identifying Your Trigger Points
Trigger points can occur for various reasons, especially if you have muscles that have been overused, injured, or inactive for long periods. Other contributing factors are muscle tension due to poor posture or stress, micro-trauma from activities like weightlifting, or vitamin and mineral deficiencies. There are two types of trigger points:
- Active: On touch, these areas feel like taut bands of muscle fiber, and pressure causes referred pain in other parts of the body that you are already experiencing pain.
- Latent: These are dormant areas of tension that feel like muscle lumps. They are not painful to the touch as well as cause severe pain. They can become active trigger points without treatment.
Chiropractic Trigger Point Therapy Options
In many cases, the doctors at All Seasons Full Body Chiropractic Center, LLC may use manual therapy to release your trigger points by applying pressure to the knot with their thumb, index finger, or using an instrument. This will help to stretch and relax the area, relieving the muscle pain. This technique can also be supplemented with other treatments such as:
- Ultrasound Therapy - Sound waves stimulate muscle tissue and decrease inflammation.
- High Volt (Electric Stimulation) Therapy - Electric pulses can improve circulation and decrease pain.
- Class IV Laser Therapy - Red and near-infrared wavelengths of light stimulate cells to reduce pain and swelling.
- Pulsed Electro-Magnetic Field (PEMF) Therapy - Application of intermittent electromagnetic fields improves lymph flow and decreases inflammation.
Chiropractic trigger point therapy has many benefits. It has been shown effective in treating a wide range of conditions, including headaches, sciatica, jaw pain, low back pain, and osteoarthritis.
Book An Appointment for Trigger Point Therapy in Fargo
All Seasons Full Body Chiropractic Center, LLC is ready to treat your pain with trigger point therapy at our state-of-the-art facility in Fargo, ND. With years of chiropractic experience, Dr. Paul Bekkum, D.C., Dr. Josh Jaeger, D.C., and their highly trained staff are here to care for you. Schedule an appointment by calling us at 701-356-0016 or book a consultation today.