Many of us know that maintaining health should be a top priority. However, we’re all human, get busy with life, and tend to slack on the things that keep us healthy when life gets crazy. Unfortunately, though, this can cause even more issues—especially during stressful times. That’s why it’s important to regroup every once in a while and remember that staying healthy isn’t too difficult if you focus on the basics. Let’s look at a few of these basics and walk you through how to maintain your health during stressful times.
The Role of Diet and Hydration
There are research studies that have found a correlation between vitamin deficiencies and health concerns. Therefore, skipping meals, overloading sweets, and poor appetite can also make it more likely that people will develop health issues. Some of the most common vitamin deficiencies include deficiencies in folate, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12. Some tips for maintaining a healthy diet include:
- Try to eat three meals per day, including breakfast
- Keep the body hydrated with six to eight glasses of water per day
- Include leafy greens on a daily basis for folic acid
- Consult a trained health professional before adding health supplements
It is important for you to think carefully about your diet, as this can play a role in your overall health. Dietary supplements should only be used with the guidance of trained health professionals, including your local chiropractor, to avoid overdoses and toxicity issues.
The Importance of Exercise
The fact is, people cannot ignore their bodies and still expect to feel good. When you devote time to improving your physical health, you are making a wise investment. A good goal to start with is to exercise for about 20-30 minutes per day, five days per week. However, every little bit helps! Some of the tips for getting started with an exercise routine include:
- Pick something fun so it doesn’t feel like a chore.
- Walking is a common first choice because it doesn’t require any added equipment and is low impact.
- Think about teaming up with others to avoid isolation, as this will help mental health.
Exercise releases endorphins, which makes you feel happy! Think about using a variety of exercises to keep exercise feeling new and exciting!
Sufficient Sleep is a Must
There are millions of people across the country who do not get enough sleep. Some people have trouble falling asleep at night. Others might have issues staying asleep. In order to improve sleep hygiene, a few important tips include:
- Try to go to sleep and get up at the same time every day to build a strong circadian rhythm.
- Avoid blue light from screens such as phones and computers before bed.
- Do not drink caffeine in the afternoon or evening.
- While alcohol might make you tired at first, it will wake you up at night, so try to avoid this as well.
Following these sleep hygiene tips can help you feel more rested when you wake up in the morning. This can go a long way toward improving both your mental & physical health.
The Role of Chiropractic Care
Finally, chiropractic care should be at the foundation of helping you manage your overall health. The doctors at All Seasons Full Body Chiropractic Center know how to take a well-rounded and personalized approach to your well-being.
Your local chiropractor is a wellness specialist who uses chiropractic adjustments to make sure the nervous system is running unhindered. This is accomplished by making sure the body’s bones, joints, and ligaments are aligned properly. Your doctor will also partner with you in adding exercises, suggesting supplements, and finding other ways to ensure that you achieve optimal health.
Visiting you chiropractor regularly can improve blood flow, control nerve signals, and improve your overall physical health. All of this can provide a boost to your mental health, too, particularly during these stressful times. If you would like to learn more about how chiropractic care can help you, schedule an appointment today!